Friday, July 15, 2022

South Bay Trail

Another mid-week walk to somewhere new, whilst my manager is out and the weather is good (though nowhere near as hot as you have it in the UK!).  This time I made the 1 hour 15 minute drive up to Bellingham, the last city before you get to the Canadian border.  Surprisingly this is the first time I've been there.  This was a 4 mile round-trip along the shoreline separating the "historic" Fairhaven district from downtown Bellingham (historic is in quotes because the definition of historic is very different between the US and the UK!).  Quite flat, and quite busy - parking was tough even as early as 10 am, and the number of retirees on the trail was noticeable.  Were they residents or were they tourists?  Don't know.  I didn't really explore Fairhaven very much, but seemed like a perfectly charming place worthy of a a couple of hours of exploration another time.  As for the trail, I had high hopes because this was a 4-star hike in my book.  This was not a 4-star hike.  The views of the bay were perfectly fine along a section of the trail on a boardwalk, but not exactly awe-inspiring compared to other shoreline trails, and half the trail you're actually hiking on the inland side of a railroad where you can't see the bay at all.  So I found it kind of underwhelming - if I was to come here again, might want to time it for sunset and stick to the boardwalk and exploring Fairhaven.




No comments:

Post a Comment