Thursday, June 16, 2022

Local Wildlife

I was staring out into my yard yesterday, and saw a rabbit. I tried to get a decent photo, but this was the best I could do.  And then I saw a second rabbit - I didn't know there were 2 of them around, so that was nice.  And then things got crazy.  I was looking out of the back door at both the rabbits, when I saw a cat approaching.  Now my neighbor's cat is black and white, but the one coming up to my backdoor was brown.  Okay.  And as it climbed onto my patio to cross it, I got a good look at the cat and then it dawned on me.  This was no domesticated cat, it was a freaking bobcat.  Wow.  I tapped on my window, but it didn't even flinch - all I got was a quick glance.  And then just as I was looking for my phone to try and get a photo, my phone rang.  It was my friend calling about meeting up for lunch tomorrow.  And as I was speaking to him, I saw one of the rabbits rushing push the kitchen window with the bobcat in rapid pursuit, before they both disappeared into the undergrowth.  I'm not sure if the bobcat caught the rabbit, but I think it was hanging around in the undergrowth for a bit before disappearing - either consuming a meal or staking out it's next victim.  So I missed getting a photo of it, not even my stupid trail camera captured an image, which is really disappointing.  But I wanted to include this photo of the rabbit, even though it's a really crappy photo, since it might be a while until I see another one in my yard - and indeed this might be the last ever time this particular rabbit was captured on film alive! 


No comments:

Post a Comment