Saturday, June 18, 2022

A Confession

I need to make a confession.  Something I'm ashamed and embarrassed about.  Something I regret, and something I've never done before and something I hope to never do again.  I cheated at Wordle.  After 4 guesses, I knew that the word started CA and ended with O.  As far as I'm concerned, the only possible word it could have been was CARGO.  But I had already eliminated the R.  And no other combination of letters produced a legitimate word.  So I guessed CARGO, just in case something was wrong with the game, but nope sure enough that was incorrect and so I was left to my last guess.  The only possible thing I could do was to test every single combination of letters between CA and O until I got the right, and only, answer.  But I was doing this at 2 am in the morning because I couldn't get to sleep, and I just couldn't be bothered to go through every single combination of letters I hadn't eliminated yet.  So I looked up the answer.  CACAO.  What the eff?  A word I've never encountered, never used, don't know how it's pronounced, don't know what it means.  Is it even English?  I would never have got this.  I guess it means something similar to cocoa, but I am totally clueless.  Is this kind of gap in my vocabulary the reason why I only got a B in my English Language GCSE?  So now my Wordle statistics and current streak are tainted by my cheating.  Kind of like the home run records for juiced up baseball players, I think I need a big asterisk attached to my statistics.  I feel great shame about all this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment