Thursday, June 2, 2022

A Swizz

So, I want to change my phone provider.  I've found a new one that offers all the same features my current account has, but $15 less a month.  It's a no-brainer right!  But in order to change my provider, I need to unlock my phone.  Shouldn't be an issue I thought - I meet all the criteria that allows me to unlock the phone: I've been with the provider for years, I've been using the phone that I want to unlock for years, etc etc.  But nope, when I logged onto my account it told me I had to wait 6 months in order to unlock my phone.  Then I chatted with a customer rep, who after a lot of back and forth told me the same thing and was absolutely no help.  Then I went to a retail store and spoke to a manager there who was really helpful but could do absolutely nothing about the situation.  Apparently when my current phone was activated 2 years ago, my account was not updated to associate the new phone with my account.  So I've got to wait 6 months until I can unlock it.  Utterly ridiculous, nothing I did wrong, and I'm stuck with this stupid provider for the time being (guaranteed I'm changing provider as soon as I can).  I think it's within my rights to kick up a right fuss about this, but I just can't be bothered - and that's probably how they screw you over.  It's also a lesson that when I get a new phone (something I've been thinking about, since my current phone doesn't use 5G) then I'm going to buy the phone already unlocked.    

1 comment:

  1. I never buy a phone from a UK network provider, it’s s con - if you do the simple maths of multiplying the additional cost (as against the monthly cost of the same package on a sim only basis) by the contract length - it never looks advantageous compared to just buying the phone.

    That said, I buy “Amazon reconditioned” rather than “Brand New”, but I’ve never been let down.

    ReplyDelete