Monday, August 9, 2021

Workplace Developments

I've been wondering when we might be allowed to go back to the office.  The last I heard was that it was going to be in September - but I think the spread of the delta variant has probably pushed that back.  Though I think they are currently running a pilot program of allowing some volunteers to go back (I didn't volunteer - I don't know anybody who did, because I think they are still making everyone wear a mask in the office).  However, some big company news came out today.  And, potentially, extremely controversial.  Our company has decided to make having the COVID-19 vaccination mandatory for all employees.  We are required to be fully vaccinated by the end of September.  I suspect not a big deal for most of us, including me, who are already vaccinated.  But I also suspect there will be a few holdouts who have not got, and will never get, vaccinated for various reasons (let's politely call them "political reasons").  What happens to these people?  If they can't provide proof of vaccination and have no specific religious belief, medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, then do they get fired?  Could make for a very interesting legal situation - though I'm sure we're not the first workplace to introduce this kind of mandate.  But I guess this gives us an approximate October timeline for returning to the office.      

No comments:

Post a Comment