Saturday, August 7, 2021

The Suicide Squad

A quick film review - I watched The Suicide Squad last night.  It was released on Thursday theatrically and via streaming - guess which method I utilized (hint: I didn't leave my home).  Basically a reboot of the much maligned 2016 film Suicide Squad - which I have seen and can concur that it was pretty bloody awful.  And yes, fortunately The Suicide Squad is definitely a lot better than Suicide Squad.  But that in itself does not mean that it is a good film.  I thought it was okay - goofy, irreverent, gory - but hardly a film that I would go out of my way to see again.  And not really worthy of the surprising number of very positive reviews (I think that is more of a reflection of how bad the previous film was).  Definitely a slice of mindless entertainment, probably quite close to the comic source material, but not the breakthrough DC universe film this franchise needs to match Marvel.  But it's still bound to create a load of sequels and spin-offs - and some of the characters are amusing enough to warrant that (see the Peacemaker series being released next year).  A middling 2.75 out of 5.      

No comments:

Post a Comment