Saturday, August 28, 2021

Online Banking Woes

I hate online banking.  Especially online banking with a UK bank from the US.  I tried to access my HSBC account via it's app yesterday.  Unfortunately, I got locked out of digital banking after too many failed attempts.  I don't know whether I got the password wrong or one of the memorable questions wrong, but either way I need to reset my digital banking password.  So I had to phone a UK number.  Unfortunately, I don't have the means to call an international number from home - so I had to add that feature to my mobile phone plan at the grand cost of $5 extra per month.  And then I called the HSBC customer service number this morning, and was asked to enter some digits from my telephone security number.  What the hell is that?  Apparently that isn't the same as my PIN and I have absolutely no idea what number this is.  So I took a punt, I was wrong and so my telephone security number is now also locked and needs to be reset.  I then got redirected to an actual customer service rep on the phone, who asked me some questions that I needed to answer correctly in order to reset my telephone security number.  Unfortunately one of those questions was what is the overdraft limit on my account.  I have absolutely no idea, I've never been overdrawn or ever really close to being overdrawn.  So I couldn't answer that, and so I couldn't reset anything.  The next step is that I need to go to an HSBC branch now with photo ID to reset the telephone security number.  What a hassle.  Now I really hope I don't need to go to a UK branch.  Fortunately, there are some HSBC branches in the Greater Seattle area (which is definitely not the norm throughout most of the US), so I will go to one next week and see if they can help.  I really hope so, otherwise I'm not going to be able to access my account until I'm next back in the UK (and anyone I owe UK money to will have to wait...!).      

3 comments:

  1. Huh?

    Do you nit possess a US bank account?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a US bank account, but I kept my UK account for convenience. But it's not proving particularly convenient right at the moment...

    ReplyDelete