Thursday, June 24, 2021

Scorchio!

Oh boy, we have some hot weather forecast this weekend.  In fact, so hot that an excessive heat watch is in effect from Friday afternoon through Monday evening with “Dangerously hot conditions with afternoon highs in the 90s and near 100 possible Saturday through Monday”.  100 Fahrenheit is about 38 Celsius.  That’s just where I’m located – I think it is going to be significantly hotter south of Seattle, with an excessive heat warning there and potentially record-breaking highs in SW Washington and NW Oregon.  I’ve decided to cancel my plans to spend a few days in Oregon, and I’ll try to go sometime after 4th July instead.  The Oregon coast, which is where I was planning on going, is probably a little cooler than inland but is still going to be uncomfortably hot for what I really want to do e.g. hiking.  I suspect this summer could be a bad one with this kind of heat so early in the season – wildfires could be a real issue later on in the year.  And I’m already struggling with how hot my house becomes with just a little bit of heat, so I might end up sleeping downstairs this weekend.  I did use the second Prime Day to order some heat control window film that I’m going to try to put up on a couple of windows upstairs to see if that helps block some of the sun rays coming in.  And today, I came across an excellent deal for one of those Dyson bladeless tower fans – it is factory refurbished so less than half the retail price, but I decided to chance it and I’ve ordered one because they are supposed to be really effective. 

Post-blog note: the forecast has been updated, our Excessive Heat Watch has now been upgraded to an Excessive Heat Warning - "Dangerously hot conditions with highs warming to the 90s and peaking above 100 degrees on Sunday and Monday".  Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment