Monday, June 28, 2021

Even Higher Triple Digits

I haven't checked the news this evening, but I'm fairly sure we set new record highs in Portland and Seattle today.  Where I am, it got up to 108F/42C today.  Unbearable.  Even as I'm writing this, just after 9 pm this evening, it's currently 90F/32C in my living room, about the same temperature outside.  And the thermostat in my bedroom reads as 96F/36C - I've just turned my portable AC unit on, so hopefully it will cool down enough for me to be able to get some sleep.  Absolutely unbearable.  There is some relief coming tomorrow, but it's still going to be quite a hot day (in the 90s).  But hopefully I can at least go out for a hike tomorrow morning - I haven't been able to get out for some exercise for the last few days, the heat is just too much.  I did some Ring Fit Adventure this morning, and I don't think I've ever sweated so much.  I had to consume so much liquid today just to stay hydrated.  I saw a rabbit this evening basking under a tree next to my driveway, so I decided to leave a bowl of water out for it - he didn't look in good shape, so I hope it helps.  Apparently the roads in our region have been cracking under the heat.  And a load of cooling stations have popped up around the region to help people out - apparently all the local hotels are also booked out, at exorbitant rates, as people seek accommodations with AC.  A historic day.  Naturally, the next big risk is from wildfires. It's no surprise that we now have a burn ban in effect (hopefully my neighbor will abide by this!).     

No comments:

Post a Comment