Wednesday, June 9, 2021

International Travel

I’ve been wondering how feasible it is to travel to the UK right now.  And I don’t think we’re quite there yet.  Trying to find information about international travel requirements, particularly for re-entering the US, is a bureaucratic nightmare – different federal departments have different guidelines, and there are also local and state restrictions as a nice bonus.  Fundamentally – at least from the US side – is that all nonessential international travel is still not recommended.  If you’re vaccinated, then the good news (as best as I could tell) is that you don’t need to quarantine.  Lots of testing – you have to have negative COVID tests before and after you fly back to the US - but other than “self-monitoring” for symptoms I don’t see any other requirements.  However, I think the US has still barred entry to all non-US citizens who have been to the UK – I’m not a citizen, just a lawful permanent resident, so I’m not entirely sure if this applies to me.  I’m about 90% sure it doesn’t – I think I have the same right to enter the US as a US citizen.  On the UK side, the US is still on the amber list.  Which again means multiple negative COVID tests (before, and twice after you arrive – which you have to pay for in advance!) plus 10 days quarantine.  You can quarantine with friends or family, but essentially you have to stay inside in the same place for 10 days.  It says “you should stay in a well ventilated room separate from other people in your home”, “you cannot have visitors” and “you cannot leave the premises where you’re in quarantine” (i.e. not even allowed to go shopping!).  Kind of ridiculous and restrictive, and I would be curious to know how much they enforce these rules.  It does say that NHS Test and Trace will contact you daily, but that probably just means a quick text, e-mail or phone call.  It also says “you may be visited by someone carrying out checks on behalf of the government to make sure you’re complying with your legal duty to quarantine” – but I suspect the chances of that happening are very slim indeed.  But bottom line, I wouldn’t want to visit the UK just yet if I have to quarantine, and especially if there is even the slightest chance I couldn’t re-enter the US!  But it does look as though there are direct flights between Seattle and London running again.

No comments:

Post a Comment