Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Delays

This is not untypical in my industry, and certainly not untypical to me, but all the timelines for the study I'm supposed to be working on have been pushed back for a month, maybe 2.  So it appears that I'm going to be not busy for a while longer.  Which is kind of a mixed blessing.  I'd rather be not busy enough than being too busy, but it's been a long time since I've been in that sweet spot between the two extremes (and for most of the pandemic I haven't been busy at all, but I've had to be available in case something crops up - so it's not like I can just tune out totally).  Maybe I can take some more vacation time before the work really kicks in (we have a scheduled week off around 4th July, so maybe I can add another week to make a very nice 2 week break?).  Conversely, it probably means that I'm going to be even more busy and even more under pressure once the study actually starts - and I bet that will include during the time that I want to and am able to finally visit the UK again.  Because that's Sod's Law (or as the Americans call it, Murphy's Law).  I'm going to try to come back at the first viable opportunity (i.e. no quarantining) - and I don't care what that means for work and whatever timelines I might be working towards at that time.  I've already hinted as much to my manager, but I'm not sure it went down particularly well.  So be it.  Some things are more important than work.

No comments:

Post a Comment