Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Windstorm

I had a somewhat stressful day.  The first post-summer strong winds hit our region today, and no surprises what happened - yes, a power outage.  And it was out all afternoon - not exactly ideal when you actually have some work to do this week.  No power = no internet = no working from home.  With absolutely no clue how long it was going to be out for - the utility website was useless - I actually went into the office for the first time in about 6 months.  Your temperature has to be taken and you're given a bracelet you have to wear now to be allowed into the workplace - a bit OTT in my opinion, but understandable for the peace of mind of those who have to go in every day.  What perhaps surprised me most was how bad the traffic was going to and from the office - I imagine the normal commute is back to nightmarish levels.  Power was still out by the time I got back and the sun was setting.  And, invariably, as I was out getting some takeout food for my dinner - the power finally came back on.  Great.  My yard is now covered with bits of tree - it was probably something bigger that came down and took out the power lines.  But hopefully now that the first big blow of this season is over, we won't get so much disruption next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment