Thursday, October 8, 2020

Job Security

This is a (partially edited for anonymity) quote from an e-mail sent out to all employees pertaining to the lack of approval by the FDA on one of our drugs that I have been working on.

In order to meet the nearer-term needs of the business, we are realigning some of our U.S. colleagues and resources to other therapeutic areas. Where it was possible to do so, we have considered employees for comparable roles internally. Where there isn’t a role for someone, over the coming months we will work with them to navigate their path ahead – either internally or externally.

Oh oh – “externally”.  What does that mean?  Basically, this is a euphemism for laying people off.  I’ve got a 1-1 meeting with my manager tomorrow – you can be sure that this comes up.  I don’t think I’m in danger – they will let contractors go before anyone else, and my job role tends to be more stable/flexible – nonetheless it definitely still makes me feel a bit less secure in my job than I have been.  Especially in light of how inessential I’ve felt over the last few months with my lack of workload.  I was already fretting about how the pandemic and working from home appears to have accelerated my hair loss – it is starting to become more discernible – and the stress from this news is just going to make things worse.  Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment