Saturday, June 6, 2020

Rocketman

After yesterday's post and for what feels like the first time in weeks, I did watch a film last night - Rocketman.  And I really really wanted to like it.  I tried so hard.  I think Elton John's life story is an interesting one, and his music is great.  But the film just didn't do it for me.  I've been trying to work out why - and think it's the simple fact that it's too theatrical.  Better suited to the West End than for the big screen.  I don't know, I'm very conflicted about this one.  In some ways I think it's better than similar films, in other ways it isn't - I'm thinking in particular of Bohemian Rhapsody - but I just didn't like the way they constructed this film.  I'd rather just see the songs performed rather than forced into scenes - or more accurately scenes forced out of the songs.  Rating - a possibly harsh 2.5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment