Friday, June 19, 2020

Juneteenth

Happy Juneteenth Day!  Is that even the right thing to say?  I have no idea - until this week, I'd never even heard of it.  And now it's an unofficial company holiday - we were encouraged to take the day off to celebrate it however we wanted.  Which I don't think would have happened until all the civil unrest recently.  It's apparently a day to commemorate the end of slavery in the US - so not without some significance.  I suspect it will become a more universally accepted holiday in future years.  But for the time being, nice to have a day off work for whatever reason (though I've felt like I've had most of this week off anyway, as I haven't had much work to do.  And don't suspect it's going to be any busier next week, because after that it's our one week summer shutdown.  I should enjoy the downtime whilst I can!).   

No comments:

Post a Comment