Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Perks?

Some unexpected, but welcome, changes at work were announced by HR today.  We now, apparently, have four more company paid holidays per year.  So as well as the Christmas shutdown, we now also have a “Fourth of July” holiday week shutdown.  This is great – a paid week off in late June/early July, I’m thinking ROADTRIP!  I need to plan and book something now.  In addition, they’re introducing a “global wellbeing reimbursement”.  We used to be able to get reimbursement for some limited expenses like gym membership, but this has now been expanded to include things like national and state park passes (something I currently buy myself) and, best of all, home gym equipment!  I’ve been thinking about getting a decent exercise bike – maybe not a Peloton because it’s so expensive, but something similar and cheaper – and now I can get reimbursed for at least part of the cost.  So why are we being offered all these extra perks now?  Do I think it is suspicious that they were announced on the same day that we announce our quarterly earnings?  Of course.  I’m going to guess we didn’t meet our financial targets, and our stock price is consequentially going to suffer.  So these minor little perks are not going to matter much when my financial future wellbeing is going to take a huge hit from all the stocks I own via the Employee Stock Purchase Plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment