Sunday, February 23, 2020

Mail Theft

Finally, I got my landlord to buy a lockable mailbox for me.  One evening last week, I came home and went to check my mail - and found my mailbox open and empty.  I have no idea whether anyone had actually stolen any of my mail, but it sure looked like it.  I'm sure I'll find out when it comes to checking whether I've got all my tax forms when I go to file my return.  And this wasn't the first time I've found my mailbox like this - so this was the final straw.  Mentioned it to my landlord, and he agreed to get a lockable mailbox - I suspect he has had some mail stolen as well, as I don't think he has a lockable mailbox either.  The joys of living somewhere that people who deliver newspapers or mail are not expected to go down people's driveways - they either fling the newspaper into your yard, or deliver the mail into a mailbox at the top of your drive.  Hence why you see movies of kids driving round hanging out of car windows with a baseball bat knocking down people's mailboxes.  I'll probably find my mailbox knocked over now.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! Never understood how the US - so much advanced than the “old country” in many respects - has such a backwards, non customer focused, & hillbillyish m.o. when it comes to mail.

    ReplyDelete