Sunday, February 16, 2020

NASCAR

As my sporting tastes continuously evolve, another decision was made today.  I'm done with NASCAR (stock-car racing).  Why?  Because it was the Daytona 500 today - the opening race of the season - and who was the guest of honor and given loads of free airtime?  Why, only a certain orange-faced buffoon.  The build up to the race was unwatchable - and it officially politicized the sport.  And although I've been aware of this for ages, it dawned on me just how many fans of NASCAR are supporters of Trump - it is easily one of the whitest sports in America, in both the competitors but especially the owners and especially the fans.  I remember in the recent news they had difficulty dealing with NASCAR fans still displaying confederate flags at races, despite their racist and offensive overtones.  And I suspect that NASCAR events probably contain the highest concentration of MAGA caps outside of actual Trump rallies.  It is still on my bucket list to go to a NASCAR race - but this will definitely be a one off and I have no plans to follow the championship any more.  Let the "god-fearing" and "country-loving" Americans have NASCAR and have Trump - the foolish hicks.  And to top it off, just as they were about to begin the race it started raining and they pulled the cars off the track - it is just ridiculous that they are incapable of racing in wet weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment