Tuesday, February 11, 2020

4 More Years

Just as with the UK elections, it is sad and unnerving how much the media can manipulate the politics to get the result it wants.  The coverage of the Democratic caucuses has been absolutely appalling – the media are taking delight with every seed of chaos and totally exaggerating every swing of momentum.  None of the candidates are coming out of it looking good – and quite clearly the only resounding winner in all of this is Trump.  Which is why in many ways I’m starting to hope that Mike Bloomberg does well.  I’m sick to death of all his ads (they’ve started appearing on YouTube now as well), but I respect the way he has played this in refusing to criticize his Democrat opponents and only Trump.  And it’s interesting that for all the money he has spent, very little has been in the states like Iowa and New Hampshire that vote first – it is quite contrary to all the other opponents who spend so much of their time canvassing in these states of early but exaggerated importance.  I don’t know whether this strategy will work, but at this point I hope any candidate who isn’t Bernie or Warren does well.  Because if either of them face Trump, they will get routed.  Especially Bernie – who I think is nothing more than a sad and cranky old man, and I can totally believe Clinton when she said nobody likes him.  And he is the presumptive favorite to face Trump – a tragic sate of affairs, but not coincidentally someone who I think Trump and any of his foreign influencers would prefer to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment