Friday, July 12, 2019

Earthquakes

I’m sure you’ve seen all the news recently about earthquakes hitting California.  Well last night, we had one of our own here.  Nowhere near the same intensity – a 4.6 followed by a 3.5 aftershock.  But it was enough to wake me up – even at 3 am.  Only realized it was an earthquake when I started reading about this morning, but it has been the first one I’ve actually felt here for a long time.  Not strong enough to cause any damage, and not even to knock anything over in my home.  But still, the largest felt in our region for about 18 years and makes you realize that we are also as susceptible to the “big one” as California is.  The epicenter was only 10-15 miles east of where I live, which is a touch disconcerting.  And I probably wouldn’t have survived if it was bigger – I was still half asleep, so I definitely didn’t “drop, cover and hold on” and actually had no idea why I had woken up in my sleepy state.

No comments:

Post a Comment