Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Best Laid Plans

Well, this is disappointing.  Had plans to go sailing, fishing and camping this weekend.  I’ve never sailed before, I’ve never fished before, and it’s been many, many years since I last slept in a tent.  But today, saw my friend’s sailboat for the first time.  Oh boy.  It is a LOT smaller than I thought it would be.  With 4 of us on this boat, and 4 “heavyset” guys at that, and with at least 6 hours journey time on the boat to look forward to, plus however many hours fishing and whatever, that seems like an extremely long time in an extremely cramped space.  I’m having major second thoughts about doing this.  Despite my preparations – I’ve bought a tent, a sleeping bag and an oversized folding chair for the trip.  But with one friend having already pulled out claiming it is due to suffering from motion sickness (I don’t believe him, I think he just wants to play golf), me having doubts and my other friend not seeming particularly keen and having already said he might have other plans for the weekend, it doesn’t look good.  I was looking forward to it, but now having seen the boat I am a lot less enthusiastic – I think my friend who owns the boat and his dad (who was going to replace my friend who has already pulled out) will do the trip regardless, but I don’t want to be a third wheel in that situation.  Perhaps I am exaggerating about how small it is, and perhaps it is my total inability to step out of my comfort zone that is affecting how I see this, but being confined to this small and uncomfortable seating area for the entire journey and not being able to move around the boat (because with my total lack of dexterity, lack of sense of balance and a lack of railings then there is every chance I would fall into the water), I’m not sure how relaxing the trip would be.  It’s probably the kind of thing I will regret not doing – but I’m thinking going out in the boat for a 1 or 2 hour cruise might be a better idea to see what it’s like before committing to a weekend.  I’m too old for this ship.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously - do some personal research on whether you can handle the motion issue.

    Years ago, Sarah & I booked an all day snorkelling / drinking cruise trip on a big arse Catamaran when we were in the Dom Rep on hols. Whilst the thing was in Puerto Plata harbour I was all 'this is ace - I'd have one of these". As SOON as we went through the harbour wall aperture in the Atlantic I went green & spent a truly miserable day - couldn't touch anything in the free unlimited bar - I even wanted to stay in the water with an incoming school of Jellyfish, whilst everyone else was scrambling to get back on board.

    ReplyDelete