Thursday, July 18, 2019

Boat Excursion

We had a department team-building event today – basically a 2 hour catered tourist-like boat tour departing from downtown Seattle.  Our second such event in as many years - it seems like it might be becoming a regular thing.  Considering we’ve had a lot of rain recently, we were lucky with the weather - dry but enough cloud cover so at least I didn’t get sun burnt this time!  But the thing that most bothered me was that for a team-building event, there were a bunch of people there I had no idea who they were.  It seems like one of the functions within our department decided to invite a load of their management up to Seattle from our Californian headquarters with remarkably convenient timing so that they could gatecrash our event.  Very shady, kind of defeated the object of the team-building exercise – these are people most of us don’t know and will never interact with - and frankly really pissed me off.  I’m not aware that anyone in my department in the Seattle office ever gets invited to any similar corresponding events in California – so this seems like a major double standard.  We had a trivia quiz during the trip, which my team didn’t win – which was disappointing, especially because one of the questions inaccurately specified that I won the table tennis tournament and so we controversially got that question wrong and subsequently lost.  Talk about rubbing it in.  But then my mood was appeased by winning a $50 gift certificate in the raffle.  All in all, a pleasant excursion and distraction from the monotony and repetitiveness of an ordinary work day! 

I haven’t added many photos to this blog recently, so here are way too many of the Seattle skyline.  I’ll also try to change that this weekend, when it seems our weather is going to take a significant turn for the better.  I need to decide where to go, and then actually follow through on that.  I did buy some annual state and national park passes the other day – so I need to make full use of them!    







No comments:

Post a Comment