Sunday, May 19, 2019

GoT S8E6

And so it ends.  I'm writing this first paragraph about an hour before the episode starts.  Hoping that the series goes out with a bang rather than a whimper, not going on any other websites since the episode has already aired on the East Coast and I don't want any spoilers, and in a somewhat distracted frame of mind since over the weekend I've binged 8 of 10 episodes of the fifth season of Bosch, I'm just watching the 9th episode right now and I desperately want to watch the last episode tonight.  Bosch is definitely one of those great underrated extremely bingeable police shows.  But back to Game of Thrones - I shared my predictions about the finale to my colleagues this week, one obvious and one less so.  The obvious - the mad Queen is going to be assassinated.  Not sure by who - could be Arya, could be Jon, could be Tyrion.  My money is probably on Jon, but not totally sold on that.  The less obvious - though something that I'm definitely not the only one to predict - is that no one will sit on the Iron Throne at the conclusion, it will be destroyed and the Seven Kingdoms will rule separately.  Let's see.  I'll write again in about 2 hours time....

I'm now watching the finale - a few comments.  How the heck did so many Unsullied and Dothraki survive the Battles of Winterfell and King's Landing?  That seems highly improbable.  Jon Snow, you stupid,naive fool - you don't know anything.  But you killed Dany, as you had to.  Nice touch of the dragon then melting the Iron Throne, but where it went with the body who knows.  A Yara Greyjoy sighting!  Plus sightings of other people who I recognize but don't remember their names!  Sam's suggestion of a democracy was hilariously laughed down - that was funny.  Bran the King!!!!!!   Come on now.  And when was he ever called Bran the Broken before?  And Sansa Queen of the independent North - again, as it had to be.  And Jon Snow back to the Night's Watch - a nice echo of the early seasons.  I'm glad I visited Dubrovnik before Game of Thrones - I bet it is overwhelmed with tourists and fans now.  Attempted joke at George R R Martin's expense - unnecessary.  The new "council" is hilarious.  We're not going to end on a soppy montage are we?  Oh no.  Not sure I come away from the finale entirely satisfied - solid, but just unspectacular and for the most part too predictable.  I'm not going to sign the online petition for them to remake the last season, as millions of others have done and will continue to do so, but I can understand why you would do so.  I look forward to reading the online backlash now in the coming days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment