Saturday, May 11, 2019

Deception Pass State Park

With the hot weather, I fancied doing a walk by some water today - so I made an early morning drive north to Whidbey Island and Deception Pass State Park.  This is the most visited state park in Washington - and one I have been to and driven through several times before.  But I decided to do a hike that I hadn't done before, round some rocky headlands - Bowman Bay, Lottie Point, Lighthouse Point, Rosario Beach and Rosario Point.  And got to be honest, this hike might be one of my favorites.  About 5 miles, not entirely flat but no major elevation changes, and some great views - if it isn't foggy!  So much for the local weather forecast yesterday for clear blue skies - a marine layer had come in and so all the shore was foggy and only started to clear up by the time I was done.  But I have no regrets over getting there early - avoided the crowds and pretty much had the trails to myself, and by the time I left there were no free spots in the car park.  I will definitely do this hike again - maybe on a clear and crisp autumnal or winter morning.  Some moody photos below:













No comments:

Post a Comment