Friday, May 17, 2019

Fire

An eventful morning.  I was sitting in my cube working away, and suddenly started seeing all this smoke outside my window.  Then the smell hit – something horrible-smelling was burning.  Was wondering whether something untoward had happened in the lab on our ground floor, but there hadn’t been a fire alarm or anything.  Eventually, with everyone else, went to the break room overlooking Lake Union and saw all the smoke billowing from some boats moored on the lake just a block away from our office.  It was a boat fire (apparently it started on a private pleasure boat, and also spread to a commercial vessel and pier) .  Loads of fire engines and fire fighters, loads of hoses and lots and lots of smoke – some very dark and heavy.  Briefly went onto the roof – nope, that was a mistake – absolutely stank.  Then popped outside to see all the activity – but only managed to get a load of smoke into my clothes and now I really stink (probably with something toxic and unpleasant).  You could hear all the news helicopters circling – this is definitely going to make the local news this evening.  Even got asked a few questions by a reporter who had just turned up – he was asking about an explosion, but there definitely wasn’t one as I would have heard it.  You know it was bad when a firefighter was just giving out breathing masks to me and other onlookers.  I didn’t take any decent photos – but I might try to “borrow” some from the internet:




No comments:

Post a Comment