Friday, September 28, 2018

Victimhood

The whole of America is gripped by the Supreme Court nomination hearings and voting.  In the same way that people rubberneck when there is a car crash.  And this is more than just a fender bender, this is a total train wreck.  A disgraceful reflection of partisan politics and a sad indictment of the current state of American politics.  I don’t know if the guy was guilty of the crimes he has been accused of – a classic he said she said scenario that is probably never going to be proved one way or another.  However, I am much more inclined to believe the woman than the white privileged a-hole with everything to lose.  Regardless, I don’t think this guy should be nominated for the simple reason of clear right wing partisanship – for a lifetime position on the Supreme Court that is supposed to be fair, even-handed, completely impartial and non-political, the aggressive way he criticized Democrats at the hearing was beyond alarming.  I think it was a disgrace when Republicans refused to vote in Obama’s choice to the Supreme Court in the last year of his presidency, especially with their smugness about it, and so I think and hope this is some sort of re-addressing the balance.  Having said that, despite the wide opposition I suspect the 1 week FBI investigation will be for nothing and he will get voted in – the Republicans are going to force it through before they lose control of the House after the mid-term election.  And I truly hope that they do get walloped in the mid-term elections (though I have that nagging fear at the back of my mind that they won’t, such is the apparent stupidity and idiocy of vast swathes of American people).

No comments:

Post a Comment