Saturday, September 8, 2018

Inglaterra 1 - 2 Espana

I still have absolutely no clue about how to regard the UEFA Nations League.  Are these friendlies, kind-of-friendlies, not friendlies?  Should I care about the fact that we lost to Spain?  Can we get "relegated"?  Aren't there qualification spots to be had - in which case might we want to attach more importance to these games?  Very confusing, and I'm not sure how much I like it - certainly puts more pressure and even more playing time on the Premier League players.  I'm sure they love that.  All I know is that none of the main sports channels here were showing the game, so I had to watch it on Univision - a Spanish-language channel.  That was "interesting" - more about understanding the context and lilt of the commentary rather than the actual words.  England maybe a bit unlucky not to get a draw - didn't see anything wrong with the injury-time equalizer.  And as much as I hate Man United, hope Luke Shaw isn't injured too badly as I think he is a good player and has had to endure a horrible history of injuries and Mourinho as a manager.

And just turned over to watch Serena Williams totally implode in the US Open final - 3 code violations and she got a game penalty.  That's right, a GAME penalty not just a point penalty.  She has absolutely lost it.  Reminds me of when she threatened that line judge a while ago.  For such an acclaimed and high profile athlete, that is not a good example to set.  Could you imagine Roger Federer doing anything like that?  I don't think so - he is class.  But the crowd were booing so loudly and treating it like a wrestling match with the umpire as the villain - hilarious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment