Friday, September 8, 2017

Work (Still) Sucks

It’s the 2 year anniversary of being in my current job today.  Yay, the shackles are finally off – if I leave, I don’t need to pay back any relocation costs now.  And I do want to leave – though ideally not until after I get my annual bonus early next year.  That I think is when I want to make a more concerted effort to find a new job – but maybe I should update my “resume” now because I don’t want to miss out on a good opportunity that might cross my path before then.  But if things don’t change, then I definitely do want to leave – I’m still very unhappy here, and my manager is still driving me crazy.  What is interesting is that I’ve heard through the grapevine that a lot of other people don’t like her either – which cheers me up no end knowing that it isn’t just me.  What is also interesting is that my manager’s new manager hasn’t been announced yet, but I’ve also heard through the grapevine who it might be – and I think this person has already been told by one of my friends here that I’m unhappy and that I want to move groups.  So the seeds have been sowed for hopefully improving my situation, although ultimately whether it affects my desire to move on I don’t know because I still want to leave Seattle.  The fun and games of office politics and office gossip.  I hate it!  My company itself has made some big news recently by splashing out a lot of money (we are talking billions of dollars) to acquire another company.  The company we bought is one of those that has a new (and expensive!) approach to treat cancer, similar to one that recently got approved for the first time and which made the news and which a lot of people are excited about.  So sounds intriguingly cutting-edge, and something that would be nice to be involved with – though I suspect my chances of being involved are slim to none.  But at least our company share price got a nice bump from the news, which hopefully means a nice trend back to the heady heights of a few years ago – I could then cash in my shares and live comfortably off them for several years!

No comments:

Post a Comment