Sunday, September 24, 2017

Star Trek

So, I watched the first episode of Star Trek: Discovery today - the new Star Trek series.  This will likely be the only episode I see - since this episode was on network TV, but the rest you have to pay extra to stream.  Which I won't.  So I hate the way they are releasing this.  And to be honest, I didn't care much for the episode - I didn't like the uniforms, the credits, the aliens (especially the Klingon makeover) and the overly obvious female perspective.  Politically correct - yes.  In the best traditions of Star Trek - unnecessary.  I don't know how it compares to the last Star Trek TV series with Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap, which I never watched.  But I grew up with Star Trek: The Next Generation, and no matter how bad some of those episodes were nothing will compare to it.  This new series may be perfectly entertaining and perfectly watchable - but unless it's truly outstanding through it's run, its never going to be classic.  It's not even going to reach the contemporary level of Battlestar Galactica, since the Star Trek universe is too established and too limiting.  But at least it's better than the truly horrendous and lamentable The Orville currently also airing - which is more of a Galaxy Quest spoof of Star Trek, but is still inexcusably bad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment