Friday, September 29, 2017

Happy Navaratri!

I’m not going to use up one of my valuable vacation days on yesterday’s unplanned day off.  Instead, I’m going to use my designated floating holiday.  This is one holiday day per year that we can use, but it doesn’t carry forward to the next year unlike vacation days.  Previously, the floating holiday could be any day of the year we chose.  But, inexplicably, this year they changed the rules so that you could only use this day on +/- 2 weeks of your birthday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Veterans Day, a day before or after 4th July, Christmas Eve, or a religious holiday.  Kind of ridiculous – I don’t know why this is so restrictive.  So, I am taking the designation of a “religious holiday” very liberally – and if anyone asks then I took off yesterday to celebrate the Hindu holiday of Navaratri.  Let’s see what kind of can of worms I’m opening up with this... I fear quite a substantial one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment