Friday, September 15, 2017

Rugby

I see that Saracens vs Newcastle in Premiership Rugby is going to be played tomorrow in the US.  Not even a friendly, a real league game.  I approve.  I think rugby has a chance to increase its following in the US - it won't be a big sport here, and nowhere in the same league as American Football, but I've definitely noticed an increase in rugby coverage over the last few years.  And hopefully this kind of game will bring rugby to the attention of more American sports fans - if only the rules weren't so complicated (but then, American Football is hardly straight forward either!).  It's a shame that they're not showing the game live here - but a repeat of it much later.  Unfortunately, Saturday's are always going to be taken up by College Football - which sucks.

POST-BLOG NOTE: Wow, I'm watching the game and I'm seeing the swathes of empty seats at the stadium, hardly anybody in Philadelphia showed up to watch this game.  What an unmitigated failure.  But I gather that there is a multi-year agreement to play a game in the US, so hopefully they'll play one on the West Coast and then I might consider going and joining the dozens of other spectators.

No comments:

Post a Comment