Sunday, September 3, 2017

US Open

I've been watching some of the US Open recently - a lot more than I watched any of Wimbledon.  I don't know what it is about the US Open, but I'd much rather go watch a game in New York than at Wimbledon - just seems like a better atmosphere, and just a bit less of a "Daily Mail" audience.  But I have some thoughts.  Firstly, glad to see Sharapova knocked out today.  She is a drug cheat, and surprised she was welcomed back as much as she was - any other sports and she would be roundly booed and hated (a great example is Justin Gatlin in sprinting).  I know that I wouldn't shake her hand if she beat me.  Secondly, is it fair that the men and women get equal pay?  I'm just not sure I can agree with that when men play best of 5 sets and women only play best of 3.  In tournaments when they play an equal number of sets, I have no issue whatsoever.  But when you have such a huge discrepancy in average playing time between the men and the women in the majors, it doesn't make sense to me.  I think people like Djokovic have said in the past that men should make more than women because men's tennis is more popular than women's.  I don't think it's a question of popularity, but the time they spend on the court - and thus the time the audience has to watch them - should be closer in parity.  Equal play = equal pay.  Thirdly, isn't it great to see Nadal and Federer doing so well this year.  These guys have carried tennis for so long after the awfulness of big serve and volleyers epitomized by the drudgery of Pete Sampras matches at Wimbledon.  And to still be the best in their sport after so many years of wear and tear is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment