Thursday, August 17, 2017

Hello!

How do you answer the door to Mormons?  I think this might have been my first encounter with them – at least in the US – recently.  I opened the door, instantly twigged who they were from the way they dressed and the religious pamphlets they had in their hands, and before they could say anything I said I wasn’t interested and shut the door in their face.  On reflection, I’m wondering if I was too rude.  I don’t particularly appreciate having my personal space invaded by someone trying to sell me a religion.  But I think I could have been more polite – I just didn’t want to engage them in conversation, no matter how patient or good people they might be.  I hope they didn’t take it personally – I’ve got to believe that they probably encounter a lot worse on their door-to-door rounds.  I’ve watched the Book of Mormon – that, and the fact that I think some of their churches look fantastic architecturally (I’m particularly thinking of one I used to live near to in San Diego), is about as far as my interest goes.  Ironically, on my road trip from Texas back to Seattle, one of the best places I overnighted at was near Salt Lake City in Utah in the heart of the “Mormon Corridor” – great hotel, nice food, nice people.  It seems that the quality of life is very good in that part of the country, but I fear you would be quickly stigmatized if you were to move there and people found out that you didn’t believe in God.  At least you probably wouldn’t have to deal with any white supremacists there!


No comments:

Post a Comment