Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Funny Little Plans

I’ve decided that I want to go to one new national park each year – so last year it was Glacier.  This year I was hoping it would be Crater Lake – but I’ve run into an issue.  This is a webcam view of Crater Lake from earlier today:


Wildfires are currently really impacting Crater Lake (as well as Seattle, as we once again have poor air quality) – resulting in road and trail closures, and as you can see really affecting the views.  I might have to rethink my plans.  The problem is that Crater Lake gets a lot of snow and the roads around Crater Lake close in October and don’t open until July.  So the window of opportunity to visit is small.  I want to visit in September, but not in smoky conditions.  Considering I’ve already been to Mount Rainier, North Cascades and the Olympic National Parks this year – and will continue to do so over the rest of the year (I particularly want to explore the beach areas of Olympic National Park – and I want to make full use of my National Parks annual pass!) – then that might have to suffice unless I end up going to hotter States later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment