Thursday, July 20, 2017

Scorchio!

We have now gone over 30 days without any rain in Seattle.  This is unprecedented, at least in my time here.  And even better, most of those days have actually been sunny rather than overcast.  This is a massive turnaround from the relatively cold winter and very wet spring.  I’ve probably worn shorts more often than any other summer in the NW so far, and it’s not even the end of July yet.  It’s also making me feel very disappointed with myself for not making the most of the nice weather and hitting the big touristy spots this summer yet – think Mount Rainier, Olympic National Park, etc.  Some stuff I want to save until later in the year, but I definitely need to go to those high elevation viewpoints whilst I can.  It’s that time of year when I think about taking a sick day on a nice day in order to take a mid-week trip to one of these places and avoid the terrible weekend crowds.  It could be argued that this is very dishonest and very unprofessional of me, however I don’t think this is cheating the system per say since I think of these as mental health days.  And this job and this workplace is killing my mental health.  I’ve already skipped an afternoon at work this week in order to go watch Baby Driver at the cinema, and I’m sure I’ll do that again soon in order to watch Dunkirk on the big Imax screen.  It’s not my fault that I haven’t been given enough work to do, or enough work that I feel passionate about or engaged with.  So I shouldn’t and don’t feel guilty about pulling a very occasional sickie – and I certainly don’t do to the extent of many other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment