Wednesday, July 12, 2017

British Understatement

A recent American article I happened to encounter on the web recently: what British people say versus what they really mean.  This is the kind of subtlety that will never be picked up by any manager of mine here (even more so when English is not their first language).

“Another cup of tea?” = “Give me more time”
“That is a very brave proposal” = “You are insane”
“Maybe” = “No”
“He’s very smart” = “He’s very upper class”
“You look amazing” = “Is your outfit a good idea?”
“Could we consider some other options?” = “I don’t like your idea”
“I hear what you say” = “I disagree and do not want to discuss it further”
“With the greatest respect …” = “You are an idiot”
“Let’s keep in touch” = “Most likely we’ll never see each other again”
“Let’s meet for lunch tomorrow at 1pm” = “I really will see you tomorrow for lunch”
“That’s not bad” = “That’s good”
“Quite good” = “A bit disappointing”
“I almost agree” = “I don’t agree at all”

No comments:

Post a Comment