Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Pre-Election Thoughts

Since we won’t find out the results of the election until late today, I’m going to hold off my judgement for the moment.  Instead, some miscellaneous pre-election thoughts:

-          I have never voted.  Ever.  For anything.  Am I embarrassed or ashamed by this?  No.  I am happy to have exercised my democratic right not to vote – and I’ve never been in a position to vote where my vote would actually be meaningful and make a difference.
-          I think only 2 people have come out of this protracted and nasty election fight really well – and that is Barack and Michelle Obama.  This time last year, I would have said that Obama had over-promised and underachieved on his presidency.  In many ways I still believe this, but I no longer believe it is his fault – the blame has to go entirely on the (Republican majority) US Congress and Senate.  Barack has come out of the election as presidential, trustworthy and a decent guy (no wonder his approval ratings are as high as they’ve ever been), and I think some of Michelle’s speeches have been some of the best of the campaign.
-          The very fact that Nigel Farage supports Trump, and has even appeared on stage with him, speaks volumes.  What reprehensible people they both are.
-          My prediction – a Hillary win, but a lot closer than she or anyone else might have thought or hoped.  The polling here, much like in the UK for Brexit, has proven to be fascinating and fascinatingly bad – so much variability and false conclusions.  I do think a lot of people are embarrassed to vote for Trump, so they won’t say so in a poll, but they might actually vote for him when it comes down to it.  But surely enough Americans recognize what a blowhard this guy is?  I sure hope so.  I guess you’ll know by the time you read this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment