Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Performance Review

My least favorite time of year at the moment at work – performance reviews.  I’m not ambitious and I’m not good at selling myself in my performance review, so I never come across as worthy and as valued as I really am.  Especially since I am reluctant to use corporate speak and buzzwords that they seem to particularly love in the States.  Over the years, this has probably meant losing out on all manner of salary increases, promotions and bonuses.  This year is going to be particularly tough, since I have been so underused that I don’t have much to draw on to prove my competency and value to my new manager.  But with hindsight I tried to word my objectives at the start of the year to be a bit ambiguous and open-ended, so I should at least be able to say that I didn’t fail on any of my goals.  I don’t have high expectations for a big salary bump (even though I think I should because I got screwed over last year), and certainly do not want nor expect a promotion.  The big thing is that I have to provide feedback on my manager – so I’m caught between providing “safe” feedback or providing some honest feedback.  I might go for honest, since I am unhappy at work and I do want something to change.  I’ll probably just end up stirring a hornet’s nest, but whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment