Friday, August 30, 2024

Alone

I was watching the season finale of Alone last night (my favo(u)rite survival competition series), and I was struck by how few survival skills I possess.  Let's be honest, I have absolutely zero survival skills.  I've never fished, hunted or foraged for anything in my life.  I wouldn't be able to build a shelter, I wouldn't know how to prepare and cook a fish, bird or animal (not that I would ever be able to catch one) and I doubt I'd even be able to start a fire.  I think the mental part of the game, the actual alone bit of the show "Alone" which seems to cause a lot of contestants the most trouble, is the only part that I would be good at.  After all, I've had plenty of practice being alone for most of my adult life  - and I would really, REALLY, welcome spending time somewhere in the middle of nowhere.  In my current mood, the prospect of spending a day and night not being disturbed by the sound of another human being would be a blessing.  In fact, it's made me want to find some isolated wooden cabin on Airbnb that I could spend a weekend at.      

1 comment: