Thursday, February 8, 2024

From the Desk Of...

I got an unexpected letter through the post this week.  Here it is, in it's full glory:




I don't know where to start - it's the first time I've received any correspondence like this, and I not sure what words best describe my initial reaction to getting it - disbelief, shock, abhorrence.  It's nothing less than fascist propaganda.  But most disturbing to me is that this is MAINSTREAM politics in the US now.  It comes from the National Republican Congressional Committee - which appears to be a legitimate political committee.  And it does seem to be the kind of tripe that Donald Trump Jr would spew, and the Official Team Trump logo appears elsewhere in the correspondence (despite being "not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee"...).  But the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure it's real.  The envelope to send your donation to has an address in Topeka, Kansas, which seems strange.  The language is just too cliched.  Is this just an elaborate scam?  I simply don't know.  And the fact that it's believable is in itself really sad.  If they had included a stamped addressed envelope, I might have replied with a crude message or drawing.  But I'm not prepared to shell out a single cent on this nonsense, not even on postage.  I'm sure there are lots of possible sources for where they got my name and address from, but I hope I'm not now on some kind of mailing list and can look forward to more of this kind of crap.      

No comments:

Post a Comment