Wednesday, August 2, 2023

American Healthcare

A classic example of why the American healthcare system is so flawed.  I had another doctor's appointment this week and got prescribed a new medication.  But then when I went to the pharmacy to pick up the medication, I discovered that it has been denied by my health insurance provider.  They apparently want me to continue on my current medication for at least another 3 more months.  If I want to get this new medication, I would have to pay for it out of pocket.  And how much does that cost?  A pricey $900 for one month of medication.  There's no way I'm paying that much.  My pharmacist is urgently appealing the decision by my insurance provider (even with insurance, now I'm worried just how much it will cost).  But it seems fundamentally wrong that the insurance provider has the power to deny me a medication that I've been prescribed.  In the American healthcare system, money always tops what's in a patient's best interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment