Thursday, July 27, 2023

Hyperglycemia

Yesterday - in a word - sucked.  10+ hours stuck in waiting rooms and treatment rooms.  Discovering (or, if I'm going to be honest, confirming what I already feared) that I am suffering from hyperglycemia.  All the symptoms I've been experiencing over the last month suggested that.  But I think I was in a state of denial and hoping it would just go away on it's own accord.  But it didn't, so finally went to an urgent care clinic (essentially just a walk-in clinic).  They checked my blood sugar level, and immediately told me I should go to emergency care.  I did - and after an excruciating 3 hour wait, they finally took me into a trauma room (!) and hooked me up to a saline IV for a few hours to reduce my blood sugar level.  Between urgent care and emergency care, I provided so many blood samples, urine samples, finger pricks.  I'm actually dreading how much of this my health insurance is going to cover, and how much I'm going to have to pay for myself.  And it's a sad indictment of the American healthcare system that I have to worry about that.  Ultimately, I've started on a new diabetes medication, I've got a couple of follow-up visits already scheduled and will plan to have more regularly scheduled appointments going forward, and perhaps most importantly I need to improve my diet.  Two major takeaways.  Patience.  You really need it when you're dealing with the healthcare system, especially emergency care.  And sacrifice.  Something I am going to have to do when it comes to my diet.  Something I'm not going to be happy about, but realize it's necessary.     

No comments:

Post a Comment