Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Black-feathered Nemeses

They’re back.  Perhaps they never went away.  I am being woken up consistently now by the sound of crows in the trees outside my house.  And we are talking sunrise early.  5.30am.  It is ridiculous.  I can even hear their squawking through the ear plugs I sleep in.  I am seriously thinking about getting an air gun and seeing if I can frighten them away that way (just been looking at some guns in the Amazon Prime day sales, and they are not that expensive!).  But these tall conifer trees that they perch on top of making their racket may be out of range for even an expensive air gun.  They say that crows are intelligent.  Perhaps they are purposely making my life a misery.  After all, they must surely know I don’t like them.  I chase them away whenever I see them by the bird bath or on my driveway.  And I wave my dead crow deterrent at them when their noise gets particularly grating, which sometimes gets their attention but mostly they just ignore now.  I don’t know how many there are – definitely a couple, plus some others.  I know that when an eagle landed in a tree in my neighbor’s yard last week, it didn’t take long for about 20 to 30 crows to show up and start attacking and chasing it away.  Evil things.  And disgusting too.  The last time I chased a crow away from my birdbath, it left behind a cube of meat that it had clearly pilfered from someone’s trash.  I don’t care much for Americans’ love of hunting birds (or hunting anything really), but I would make a major exception for the crow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment