Monday, July 3, 2023

History

Ah history - the subject that I wish I hadn't dropped at A-level after 2 weeks.  My interest in history is definitely something I inherited from my Dad - and in many ways I wish I had pursued it academically.  And I've been watching a lot of history videos on YouTube recently, and it has rekindled my love for the subject.  Makes me want to go see more historical sites around the world.  And this is where I regret being in the US and not the UK - the US may have some great geological and natural history, but the kind of history I like is political and military, and that is where Europe excels.  It would be nice to visit a few more historical sites the next time I'm back in the UK - meanwhile here in Washington State, I should try to make it out to the San Juan Islands again with the aim of checking out the location of the Pig War (a US-UK confrontation in the mid-1800's where the only casualty was a pig!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment