Sunday, July 23, 2023

Bad British Shows

There seems to be a preponderance of bad British shows on American TV right now.  Most of them I still watch - being the masochist I am - but even I have my limits.  For example, I started watching The Lazarus Project but gave up after a few episodes.  A very typical British sci-fi show - high concept, low budget.  And it quickly went off the rails.  And then we come to the British crime drama - normally a reliably safe viewing option.  But there are a couple of stinkers airing right now.  Ridley is a very bog-standard show.  I like Adrian Dunbar in Line of Duty, but boy does he suck in this - and please for the love of god could he not be allowed to sing on this or any other show.  DI Ray is another very derivative crime drama - with the added distinction of featuring some very poor acting.  Yet all 3 of these shows have been unbelievably and inexplicably renewed for another season.  What am I missing?!  Have I become too Americanized that the Britishness of these shows no longer appeals to me?  Or have my standards for judging the quality of a show increased?  Or as I've got older, have my tastes become too refined and I no longer settle for some half-assed crap?  Unfortunately with the writers/actors strike in the US severely affecting production, I fear things are only going to get worse.    

No comments:

Post a Comment