Thursday, November 17, 2022

World Cup Preview

It feels somewhat surreal that the World Cup is starting this weekend.  Maybe because the time of year is wrong.  Maybe because the location is wrong (thanks to corruption).  Maybe because I have extremely low expectations of England.  The good news is that all the games are on US TV.  The bad news is that Fox have the rights - so who knows what the quality of coverage and commentators will be like.  What is hilarious is seeing some adverts on TV here asking why the US can't win it.  Ermmm, I can tell them why - because they suck.  They won't get out of the group stages.  I predict that England will grind out a 0-0 draw with Iran in their first game, in which they play over-conservatively in an awful game.  But I think we will beat the US on Black Friday - that feels like a game we should be up for.  But will we go far in the tournament?  No.  We can't avoid the better teams in this draw, unlike previous tournaments, and there are many more better teams than us.  Who's going to win it all?  The safe bet is probably Brazil, but I can't see it going to anyone outside the usual contenders from Europe or South America.  And although I think it very unlikely, it would be nice if England made it to the semis because then I can watch them play when I'm back in England!          

1 comment:

  1. In Gregg Berhalter we trust.

    (ex Palace player)

    ReplyDelete