Friday, November 25, 2022

England 0-0 USA

For all the hype - and I don't know what it was like in the UK, but in the US this game had some seriously big hype - that was a tight and cagey affair.  And frankly England were lucky just to get the draw.  Clearly the first match was a fluke, this was exactly how I imagined most of the England games going - slow, predictable, entirely unable to break down the opposition.  And arguably the US had the better opportunities to win this.  England were stereotypically turgid and insipid.  Sadly, this was the first game I watched live.  The first game I watched in 4K.  The first game I watched with a beer.  And the disappointment and frustration with England's performance is overwhelming and will ruin the rest of the day.  I don't know how many other games I will watch live - if only so that I can easily fast forward all the halftime studio awfulness.  This World Cup has been a weird one for me so far - I haven't watched many games in their entirety, mainly just highlights and the occasional replay.  And I have to confess a certain indifference with the tournament - perhaps I'm somewhat conflicted about wanting to enjoy the football, but not with a host country so guilty of corruption and human rights abuses.  But at least my expectations for England have been put firmly back in place - they are not going to win this thing, and I am okay with that.     

No comments:

Post a Comment