Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Better Call Saul

A word on Better Call Saul, which aired it's season and series finale yesterday.  It was a satisfying, if mildly underwhelming, send off for a quality show.  And sadly that's another prestige TV show that bites the dust - maybe the last one from a pre-streaming era.  I think I need to rewatch Better Call Saul in it's entirety - I've always considered it inferior to Breaking Bad, but it really should be considered on it's own terms.  And it is undoubtedly a quality show - with the cinematography being particularly outstanding.  I'm not sure I liked the fact that the last half dozen or so episodes were predominantly in black and white - an unfortunate carryover from scenes on this timeline in the early seasons.  But I feel I'm focusing too much on the few negatives from a show that had so many positives - it was profound, immersive, detailed, and maybe had more interesting characters and showed more evolution than Breaking Bad during it's run.  I'm almost talking myself into thinking that Better Call Saul may be better than Breaking Bad - but I don't think I can go quite that far yet.  It will be interesting to discover which show has more longevity - let's revisit this in 5 or 10 years time.         

No comments:

Post a Comment