Thursday, August 18, 2022

A Pest

Imagine my surprise when I was using the downstairs bathroom - sitting down on the toilet if you get my drift - and I saw a mouse suddenly appear from beneath the bathroom vanity.  It is probably the closest I've ever come to quite literally having the sh*t scared out of me!  I knew that there were probably mice in the house - I've heard them behind the walls - but this was the first time actually seeing one out in the open.  I have no idea if this was it's first foray downstairs, I haven't seen any evidence of mouse dropping anywhere.  I'm going to assume not, I don't want to think about the other possibility!  It quickly disappeared back under the unit from either a noise or movement I made.  So what to do about it?  Well, first thing I did was get an old towel and block the space beneath the unit - I didn't want the little bugger escaping.  Then a trip down to the hardware store.  What to get?  So many choices - a traditional spring-loaded trap, fancy electronic ones, ones that trap them alive, ones that kill.  In the end, I went for a double whammy - a bait station and a glue trap.  And I immediately set them up under the bathroom unit.  After 24 hours, the only thing I'd caught was a spider on the glue trap.  But then after 48 hours, success.  It doesn't look like anything touched the bait at all, but the glue trap had done it's job and captured a mouse.  But what I didn't think about was that although the mouse was stuck on the glue, it was still alive and making small movements.  Very unsettling.  I think it was beyond rescuing, so how to end it's life and dispose of it.  In the end, I kind of squashed it and threw the whole glue trap away - but it didn't feel like a particularly ideal or humane way to deal with the situation.  Now my only worry is whether that was the only mouse, or whether there are others.  So I've set up a new glue trap, and let's see if we capture anything else in the next few days.      

No comments:

Post a Comment