Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Cowiche Canyon

Here are some photos from my day trip to Yakima on Saturday.  I did a hike at a place called Cowiche Canyon.  It was one of the recommended fall hikes, and though I probably missed peak autumnal colors by about a week it was still very nice.  Yakima is not close - a good 2.5 to 3 hour drive away, across the Cascades and in Central Washington.  It’s an entirely different climate and environment here - known for it’s orchards and vineyards - and this hike very much reminded me of hikes I used to do in Southern California.  As the name suggests, it is in a canyon - basically following a stream as it meanders through this attractive but not particularly deep canyon.  And you crisscross the stream constantly - passing over many many small bridges.  It’s flat, about 3 miles from the trailhead at one end to one on the other - so a decent 6+ mile there-and-back in total.  Quite popular, particularly with dog walkers and as it got later in the day, and apparently there are loads of rattlesnakes in the canyon - but I never saw any, perhaps it was too cold.  Was the long journey (and early start - I left home at 7am) worth it?  I’m going to say yes - and I will come back in spring when the wildflower bloom is supposed to be spectacular here.  And perhaps I’ll make a weekend of it in this neck of the woods next time.  I don’t think the photos do it justice - a low sun makes for either too dark or too bright views or my silhouette dominating the shot.  Oh well.





No comments:

Post a Comment